LION'S PAW GOLF CLUB at Ocean Ridge Plantation (800-233-1801)
Myrtle Beach Golf Course Review
Lion's Paw is a member of the four BIG CATS at Ocean Ridge Plantation - which includes Panther's Run, Leopard's Chase and Tiger's Eye. Information on these courses including tee time bookings can be found by calling 800-233-1801 or by visiting their website by clicking on www.big-cats.com . Some of the most recent awards and accolades for Ocean Ridge Plantation golf courses are:
- April 2018 - Leopard's Chase® and Tiger's Eye® were ranked #45 and #51 respectively among all private, public and resort golf courses in the state by Business North Carolina Magazine and The NC Golf Panel. Leopard's Chase moved up 3 positions and Tiger's Eye held firm to its spot from last year.
- April 2018 - Leopard's Chase® and Tiger's Eye® were ranked #11 and #13 respectively among all public and semi-private golf courses in the state by Business North Carolina Magazine and The NC Golf Panel. Both Courses moved up one spot from last year's rankings. They are the two highest ranking public courses in our region!
- April 2018 – Panther's Run joined Leopard's Chase and Tiger's Eye in the Top 50 Courses You Can Play list, debuting at #50.
- April 2018 Leopard's Chase® Golf Club was named by GolfWeek Magazine as among North Carolina's Best Courses You Can Play for 2018. Leopard's Chase® was ranked #10 on this list of the Best Public Courses in NC, moving up one position from 2017
- April 2018 Tiger's Eye® Golf Links was named by GolfWeek Magazine as among North Carolina's Best Courses You Can Play for 2018. Tiger's Eye® was ranked #14 on this list of the Best Public Courses in NC. Tiger's Eye was unranked in 2017.
Lion's Paw and Panther's Run share clubhouse facilities that include a nicely stocked pro shop, Tamer's Bar & Grill (serving lunch and dinner menus), plus locker rooms and showers for men and women. The pro shop has been honored as "Top 100 in the Nation" for 4 consecutive years. The comprehensive practice facility includes a targeted grass range, short game area with sand bunker, plus 2 putting greens.
Both courses provide yardage marking systems that include 100, 150 and 200 yard plates (250 on par fives) and sprinkler heads that are measured to the center of the green. Color coded flags on the greens indicate the day's front, middle or back hole locations.
Lions Paw provides golfers with 4 sets of tee boxes that measure in distance and slope: 7003 yards/132 slope, 6457 yards/128 slope, 5872 yards/118 slope for men and 126 for women, and 5363 yards with a slope of 121 for ladies hitting from the forward tees. Water plays a strong role on this layout as hazards come into play on 15 holes, and golfers will also have to negotiate 75 soft sand bunkers, which are strategically located near the landing zones or are situated greenside.
The terrain is partially tree-lined along a rolling topography, with mounds and slopes along the fairways and greenside. The putting surfaces are generally small and mildly sloping and the greens were updated to MiniVerde in 2011. Land in regulation and good scores can be had. The group of 4 par threes is especially strong, with ponds affecting the shots on each hole. These four are both beautiful and challenging at the same time.
The course plays through a nice residential community, but also provides a nice degree of seclusion. For more info, visit our page for Lion's Paw with direct link to their website by clicking here.
Visit Facebook links by clicking on the course names below: